The following resources will tell you more about the experiences of children with disabilities and their carers, including those living in South Africa. We support all who uphold the rights of children with disabilities to a fair chance to survive, thrive, receive protection and participate in the community on an equal basis.
Having a special concern for children who need posture support and wheelchairs, it is important to understand what an ‘appropriate’ wheelchair is, and how this enables the first step towards participation in society. The ‘appropriate’ wheelchair, when provided within systems aligned with best practice in wheelchair provision, may improve the quality of life for people with mobility impairments.
Policy and Strategy
- United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.pdf
- United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child.pdf
- Education White Paper 6.pdf
- DOBE - Report on te Implementation of White Paper 6 on Inclusive Education.pdf
Early Childhood Development
Impact of disability on the lives of children
- UN State of the Worlds Children Report_2013.pdf
- 2011 Hearing_the_voices_Sitan_children_with_disabilities_low_res1.pdf
- 2011 ACPF Children with disabilities in South Africa- The hidden reality.pdf
- 2015_UNICEF_Study on children with disabilities from birth to four years old in South Africa (Final - Unedited) 2015.pdf
- UNICEF 2015 A fair chance for every child 22May15v2.pdf
- What is an appropriate wheelchair.pdf
- 2010_WHO_wheelchair fact sheet.pdf
- 2012_One size fits all_SAMJ_Zithulele.pdf
- 2015 WHO UNICEF Assistive-Tech-Web.pdf
Wheelchairs in less resourced settings
- Childrens act guide for ECD practitioners - Copy.pdf
- Childrens Act Guide for Health Professionals 2013.pdf
- 2011_Childrens Act_guide_cycw_.pdf
- 2014_Kuper_30 countries_Impact of disability on the lives of children Kuper et al 2014.pdf
- Policy Implementation in wheelchair service delivery in a rural South African setting.pdf
- Siphokazi With or Without Us
- You must carry your wheelchair Gubela Mgi.pdf
- Bateman, Chris. 2012. Izindaba ’One size fits all’ Health policies crippling rural rehab – therapists. South African Medical Journal. 102 (4):200-208.
- Dutt, R. 2015. Sleep and Children with Cerebral Palsy. A Review of Current Evidence of Environmental and Non-Pharmacological Interventions.
- Nordstrom, B. The Psychological Impact of Standing. In Disability and Rehabilitation Assistive Technology
- Visagie, S., Mlambo, T., Van der Veen, J., Nhunzvi, C., Tigere, D. & Scheffler, E., 2015, ‘Is any wheelchair better than no wheelchair? A Zimbabwean perspective’, African Journal of Disability 4(1), Art. #201, 10 pages.
- Grut, L., Mji, G.Braathen, S.H. and Ingstad, B. 2012. “Accessing community health services: challenges faced by poor people with disabilities in rural communities in South Africa”. African Journal of Disability. 1(1) Art. #19, 7 pages.
- Visagie, S., Duffield, S. & Unger, M. 2015. “Exploring the impact of wheelchair design on user function in a rural South African setting”. African Journal of Disability 4(1), Art. #171, 8 pages.